Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Finding the Right Kind of Busy

I've had some interesting things to say this week about my busy schedule. And I'll continue it with the following statement:

Being too busy kills dreams.

That might sound a bit harsh, but the reality is that if you want to achieve your dreams, you've got to figure out how to be the right kind of busy.

I'll take one sentence and give you a bunch of fill-in-the-blank answers. All of these answers are dream killers. Here it is:

Spending too much time _______ will keep you from achieving your dreams.
  • chasing money
  • working
  • watching TV
  • scrolling Facebook
  • sleeping
  • doing things you don't enjoy
Society as a whole is way too busy - we all know that. But not everyone is busy to the detriment of their dreams.

What are you doing with your time? Is what you are doing a stepping stone to your goals or is it a hamster wheel?

Here are the questions I've been asking myself lately, and maybe you can ask yourself these questions too:
  • Am I too focused on making money?
  • Do I work too many hours at my job?
  • Am I making time to pursue the things I dream of pursuing?
  • Do I have plans for where I'm going next?
  • Am I using my free time well?
  • Do I have any bad habits that are keeping me from progressing towards my dreams?

I'd be interested to hear how others answer these questions. Here are my answers:
  • Yes. I initially was focused on earning money for future goals, and somewhere along the line it shifted to just earning money.
  • Yes. I'm working too many hours at my job.
  • Sort of. But sort of not.
  • I used-ta-did. I abandoned said plans due to crazy work schedule.
  • No. I'm working myself to the point of exhaustion.
  • Yes. I need to work on my confidence, get up earlier, and stop scrolling social media.
The first step to positive change is figuring out where you're at in your life. The next step is figuring out how to move to where you want to go.

First step, check!

No comments:

Post a Comment