Friday, July 11, 2014

Why I Dislike Writers' Critique Groups

Here's a challenge for my fellow writers: look up your local writers' critique group and scan through the submissions. And tell me if you can find a single positive comment on any work from any author at any time. And let's say you can...is it maybe five percent of the comments? Two percent? Less than one percent?

Am I cynical about these groups? Maybe. But I've participated in critique groups from time to time, although mostly I've done a lot of watching. And what I notice is that people will pick anything apart that they can find. This word is bad, that word should be changed, well don't use a comma there, oh don't phrase it that way.

And I'm all for constructive criticism. I think it's absolutely necessary and very beneficial to us writers.

But I also find it hard to believe that of all the writers out there, of all the writing I've seen, of all the writing of all time, that nobody ever says, "You know what, that's pretty good. I like it."

If Stephen King posted to one of these groups, I have to wonder how badly his work would be picked apart just like the rest of them. Actually I'm pretty sure I already know the answer. But perhaps this is why he uses a group of hand picked beta readers when he finishes his work.

I think my blog post today is just to express some frustration about all that. Because as a writer I really want to have good outlets for constructive criticism.

But I already know these groups will always find something wrong. Even if nothing is wrong. Because they will find something. It's the only option they have, it seems, even if there's nothing to find.

So for now, I'll stick to beta readers and my editor. And I think that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment