Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Writing, in Sickness and in Health

So I spent a frustrating five hours asleep on my couch today. I woke up this morning with a sore throat and aches, and had so much fatigue that I just couldn't function when I tried to sit down and do my work. So, lucky for me (as a freelance writer), I decided to take the day off and rest.

And now here I am writing a blog, even though I'm aching and tired. Because my writing has gotten to the point where it's like this little toddler tugging at my skirt. It wants attention. It wants to be done. It needs to be done.

I'm excited about this latest development actually, because I've never been able to focus my attention on anything for very long. It's part of the reason I love to write, because all of my projects require me to learn new things to complete them.

Right now I've got a book that's due to be finished. I set a writing deadline for myself, as I wrote about before, which I think was a really great thing to do. And even though I couldn't get any freelance work done today and I've had yet to work on my book, I did succumb to the urge to write even in sickness today. Here's what I did:

  1. I finalized my book cover back copy, which I sort of wrote on a whim last night. I suppose I can always edit it later but I like it for the most part right now.
  2. I talked to my graphic designer about my book cover and got the ball rolling on that.
  3. I looked at formatting options for my text and, with my designer's help, picked a template I think will work nicely.
  4. I publicized all of the above activity on both my website and on social media for the reading pleasure of the masses.
So I'd say, between all of that and this blog right here, I'm still having a productive writing day. But you know what I'll do now? That's actually a really good question. I may pick up the latest novel I'm reading (11/22/63 - it's fantastic), or maybe I'll go to sleep.

Or maybe, like last night, I'll find myself writing even when I hadn't intended to do so. It's just the way it goes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment