Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Small epiphany

I think I just had another small epiphany.  And I want to document it here, because this blog is supposed to be about unblocking my writers block.

Are you ready?  Well here it is.  Here's my epiphany: I am not writing what I know.

Duh.

When I think about this first fiction book I tried to write, it is about 25% what I know and 75% what I don't know.  And that's not going to work!  Hello Elizabeth.

I've got to restructure it.  I've got to rework my storyline, my setting, and some of my characters.  I've got to make the story such that the characters have traits I know and understand, the setting is a place I am familiar with and can write about, and the storyline has plot twists that I have experienced.  How else will I be able to write a good book?

All of Hemingway's books are dark and have a sad tone to them.  All of Sparks' books are love stories set in North Carolina.  All of Toni Morrison's books address black issues.

Wow.  Big fat DUH!

So what do I know?  Well here is my list of the things I know, to help get me going.
  • Heartbreak
  • Abuse
  • Loss
  • Death
  • Missing parents
  • A special grandmother
  • Boredom
  • Dance
  • Shyness
  • Failure
  • Writing
  • Reading
  • Cooking
  • Being bullied
  • Love
  • Motherhood
  • Texas
  • Beaches
  • Corporate jobs
  • Public education
  • Gardening
  • Weather
  • Depression
  • Deep friendships
  • Betrayal
Hmmm.  There.  That's a good list to get me started.   Go me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment