Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Finding Your Muse/Inspiration

Today I've come to the conclusion that my muse lies in a coffee cup. And it's not coffee that's in there (I don't drink that stuff) but rather my homemade chai.

I think as a writer we'll take inspiration in whatever form it comes. It may take a while to figure out what does it for us, but once we find something that works we stick with it. Well I'm sticking with a warm cup of chai.

Whenever I'm stuck or don't want to get moving, I peel and grate some ginger, grind my spices using a mortar and pestle, and in about 15 minutes I've got the best milky tea drink on the planet steaming out of my cup. And a few sips later I'm off and running. It's like magic.

Chai isn't my only source. I find that if I spend my insomniac moments thinking about my creative work, often times something will materialize along the way. I also get inspired by nature, or by feelings, or sometimes while soaking in a hot bath. Or sometimes it's just the time of day (evening, usually).

I also get inspired by things I read (I wrote about emulating other authors yesterday) and that's perfectly groovy too. In fact, I'm finding that picking up someone else's book is a great way to figure out how to edit my own work.

What inspires you? Is it a person? A thing? A feeling? A time of day?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you just asked THE question! I think I get inspiration from many (often random) things. Sometimes it's a thunderstorm, or a conversation which took an unsuspeted turn, or a cup of coffee (I DO drink that stuff)...

    But overall, what most inspires me is, I believe, travelling by car. I love to see landscape after landscape unfolding before my eyes, as day gives way to night... It helps you to ponder over many things, and your brain is free from distractions (especially if you're not driving).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsar, I love driving too. It's the same thing when I walk or run...it's almost like a meditation where your analytical brain gets out of the way and the real stuff shines through. :)

      Delete