Sunday, May 18, 2014

Writing Every Day

Most professional writers will tell you that you need to write every day. Well here's my little secret: I do and I don't.

If we talk about working on a novel or a short story or something considered "creative", then I for sure don't write every day. But I think sometimes we forget about the other ways in which writers use their craft daily and therefore are also constantly improving it.

  • Do you journal? I used to journal, a whole lot. Almost every day.
  • Do you blog? I do from time to time (more lately). That counts.
  • Do you write for work? I spent years writing user manuals and help systems, and never thought that "counted." (It does)

So from the keyboard of a professional writer to anyone happening to read this post, I would say that it's important to write at least 5 days a week. Like a day job. That means if writing isn't inherently a part of your day job then you need to make it a part of your night job.

I spent many years unable to write at home because my creative energy was completely drained by the writing (and stress!) of my day job. If that's you and if you truly want to be a writer, then find a way to get rid of the stress that keeps you from producing. That's what I had to do. I finally quit the corporate life and turned my energy to freelancing. Easy financially? No. Worth it? Totally.

But what's also important is reading every day. If you don't feel like writing, then by god at least read! And not just your Twitter or Facebook feed or a trashy article on an entertainment website (have you noticed how many grammar errors are out there these days?).

Pick up a book or read a reputable news website like NPR or the New York Times. Read a magazine if you don't have the attention span for a book. But read something of quality and do it on a regular basis.

When I was a language arts teacher I used to tell my kids that reading will help your writing. Why? Because you will sort of absorb words, conventions, vocabulary, etc. through osmosis. The more you read, the better your writing is. And then, of course, you should test it out on a semi-daily basis.

So back to the blog title: Write Every Day. Do I write every day? No. Some days I would much rather have dinner with friends, enjoy the outdoors, spend time with my husband, or play with my cats. But do I write most days? Yes. And I have for over 10 years now.

If you want to be a writer, then write. If you have trouble writing, then figure out what the roadblocks are that are preventing you from doing so. It could be a stressful job, a fear of failure, or any number of things. But identify it and break through.

And if you'd like some help with getting going, there's this great book that really helped me a few years ago when I was in the midst of some serious writer's block. It's called The Artist's Way. Give it a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment