Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Writing? Just Go With The Flow!

So I just literally banged out almost 2500 words for my current book manuscript project, and if there's anything I've learned in the last few years of trying (and trying and trying) to write a book, it's to go with the flow.

I am on my third (eek) attempt at writing a book. My first attempt was a few years back, which I abandoned after maybe 25,000 words. My second attempt was about two years ago, which I again abandoned as "crap" after about 22,000 words. 

But this time I've approached the process differently and am up to almost 43,000 words, with no plans to stop. Why? Because I stopped reading the stuff I was writing as I was writing it.

So take a moment and be honest with yourself. Do you do that, too?

I think it's normal for writers to scrutinize their work, and there is definitely a time and a place for this to happen (in fact, it's absolutely mandatory). 

But I also think that if we want to produce anything, like, ever, then we need to stop scrutinizing ourselves while we are in the process of creating. Just let it come out however it comes out, and talk yourself into being ok with that. Cognitive behavioral techniques work well, so buzz your nearest shrink for some tips!

Kidding aside, I think learning to go with the flow really is a skill. Because it requires you to let go of your fears, your doubts, your analytical thinking, your goals, your outcomes, and whatever else is "supposed" to be. And I think in the process of doing this is when our creativity has the freedom to shine through, and to actually do what it does - create stuff (awesome stuff!).

So the next time you sit down to write, allow yourself to write absolute rubbish if that's what comes out. At least you'll end up with words on the page and will have made some sort of progress forward, which is more than you would have if you sat there scolding yourself before you even put your thoughts on paper. 

And anyway, rubbish often turns to something beautiful once you take the time to tend it, nurture it, sculpt it, and shape it. It's just like a diamond; start with a mass of coal that is dark and ugly, give it the right attention (ok, pressure!) and you have a beautiful stone that sparkles for a lifetime and is worth more than gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment