Thursday, June 22, 2017

Yesterday I Wrote a Poem

Yesterday I wrote a poem. At midnight. Lying horizontally on my living room couch. On my...cell phone (the Notes app is helpful for these sorts of things).

Today I looked at said poem and thought, ok not bad (you can read it here). But I also looked at that poem in combination with my post yesterday about not being able to write while sick, and I've decided that something has happened that's worth noting. Not something significant in the grand scheme of the world or even in my life, but something significant in my journey.

As I've worked to accept my illnesses, my new body, my limitations...it's required all of my energy most of the time. The idea that I have had the energy (or desire) to write anything this week - this blog post, that poem, yesterday's emotional vomit - makes me think that I've taken a step forward.

I had a similar feeling when I started making career goals again a month ago. It was like I'd stepped off of a hamster wheel and started walking down a path again. One that had been cloaked in darkness for a very long time.

I suppose with most things in life you have to start with a first step. Maybe I'll end up back on the hamster wheel for a while or maybe I won't. But it's been a full year since I've written anything and it's nice to create small bits to send out to the universe. Even if they only mean something to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment